Renowned writer and editor Pamela Philipose, is not one to mince words when it comes to expressing a stand on relevant issues. Through her answers to the following questionnaire she expresses how the governments’s move on demonetisation cuts a sorry figure owing to the lack of proper implementation and a real intention to deal with problems of corruption.
MY REPLIES TO THE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. Do you think that black money exists in India?
Yes. Just heard that supreme court is asking your government to reveal the names of bank defaulters.
2. Do you think the evil of corruption and black money needs to be fought and eliminated?
Yes. Please reveal the names so as to enable the initiation of an SC-monitored probe into the political bribes taken by politicians from Sahara and Birla groups.
3. Overall, what do you think about the governmentâ€™s move to tackle black money?
Pathetic. The govt’s moves have completely disrupted the lives and livelihoods of millions of poor Indians. Taken away their right to spend their own lawfully earned wages and savings.
4. What do you think of the Modi governmentâ€™s efforts against corruption so far?
MISERABLE FAILURE. THOSE WITH STASHES OF BLACK MONEY ARE GOING ABOUT UNTOUCHED WHILE THE POOR AND THE MIDDLE CLASS PEOPLE ARE BEING HELD TO RANSOM BY THE GOVERNMENT, THE RBI AND THE BANKS
5. What do you think of the Modi governmentâ€™s move of banning old Rs. 500 & Rs. 1000 notes?
GREAT MOVE BUT WITHOUT ADEQUATE PREPARATION TO REPLACE THAT CURRENCY FAST, THE IDEA IS OF NO VALUE
6. Do you think demonetization will help in curbing black money, corruption & terrorism?
No. As we can see, the big fish remain favoured and the government has not only no courage to touch them but is in fact finding ways of benefitting them further
7. Demonetization will bring real estate, higher education, healthcare in common manâ€™s reach.
When the state is hell bent on privatising healthcare and education, and cutting down public spending in these sectors, where is the hope for these to be within common man’s reach, with or without demonetisation? have any new policies been put in place to curb and regulate them? They will continue to generate black money and donate to the political parties.
8. Did you mind the inconvenience faced in our fight to curb corruption, black money, terrorism and counterfeiting of currency? THIS QUESTION ASSUMES THAT THIS POLICY WILL
Actually curb terrorism, counterfeiting and black money. it may not. but based on unproven assumptions, people are being put to tremendous inconvenience — depriving them of their own lawful earnings for weddings in their families, for health care, for subsistence. this is a violation of fundamental right to life and liberty, not just an inconvenience. is this allowed without declaring economic emergency under the constitution?
9. Do you believe some anti-corruption activists are now actually fighting in support of black money, corruption & terrorism?
No. If they kept silent, they would be doing a disservice to the country and their fellow citizens. those with any conscience must condemn what is happening based on false assumptions
10. Do you have any suggestions, ideas or insights you would like to share with PM Narendra Modi?
Please hold wide consultations with experts who have knowledge about these issues and can give considered balanced advice with public interest in mind and not corporate interests.