I am sending this post in the light of a recent controversy that has broken out over our visit to Bastar, in which the police are claiming they will lodge an FIR and trying to drum up the appearance of a public demand for it.
In part, this controversy is fuelled by the desire to demonise JNU, in part it is one more in a series of attacks on journalists, lawyers and others for which this Jagllag group was set up, and in part it is a continuation of CG’s history of harassment of me.
All this should not prevent anyone from going to the area.
I am enclosing the following just FYI.
List of incidents when Chhattisgarh police has tried to harass me, because of my human rights work and litigation in the Supreme Court.
1. 2005: During Salwa Judum, a human rights team of which I was a member was aggressively surrounded in the camps, not allowed to visit villages freely, stopped at checkpoints.
2. 2006: Independent Citizen Initiative members were detained in Bhairamgarh police station, mob nearly lynched RG, rumours spread that we had offered 1 lakh to the villagers to help us cross the river to join the Maoists; we escaped only because a local NGO director spoke to the SJ leaders. The Judum took away my camera – it was returned several months later by the Collector, with no apology.
3. 2007: After we filed a case in the Supreme Court, police photo-shopped an image of me with my arms around Maoist women cadres and showed it to visiting journalists and others to show how I was partisan and representing the Maoists. When I protested in writing, the SP Rahul Sharma replied saying it was one “Ms Jeet.” Nothing has ever been heard of this Ms. Jeet before or after and when I asked to see the photo, it “could not be found”.
4. July 2009: Four of us, including two other profs, were detained in Mirtur CRPF camp and police station till 1 am on the SP’s orders despite giving prior information to the Collector that we were visiting the area. The Judum and SPOs took away JP’s mobile phone and charger. It has never been returned.
5. December 2009: A DU colleague and I were asked to leave a Dantewada hotel late at night on the police’s instructions; denied any lodging in Dantewada and Sukma, surrounded by SPOs at night, and followed by SPOs in un-numbered vehicles till we left the district. We had to advance our ticket.
6. July 2010: SRP Kalluri put out a statement, reported widely in the media saying that Arundhati Roy, Medha Patkar and I, among others, were linked to the attack on Congressman Avdhesh Gautam’s house, masterminded by Lingaram Kodopi.
7. October 2010: We were asked by the ASG and Chhattisgarh’s lawyers in the Supreme Court to visit Bastar. Taking their assurance at face value, a journalist friend and I visited. We were picked up from a village which I have been visiting for decades (on the basis of tapped phone conversations) by an SDOP accompanied by 50 armed SPOs. They refused to let us out of their sight for a week, even following us to the airport to make sure we left. (We used the opportunity to visit Salwa Judum camps).
8. 2011-15: I have been stopped at every CRPF camp, checked, sometimes made to wait for hours, even while on my way to attend a wedding. The only reason I was not harassed even more during this period was because I usually went on visits to do with the CBI enquiry ordered by the SC on attacks on village Tadmetla and others. However, during this period the CBI team itself was physically attacked by SPOs, and police personnel in February 2012, and threatened in November 2015.
9. 2013: Media stories were circulated that I was in regular touch with Maoists in Raoghat and was leading demonstrations of the Raoghat Rail Sangharsh Samiti at their behest (even as I was teaching classes in Delhi).
10. 2014: Media stories put about that I had coached villagers what to say before the TP Sharma Commission (investigating the attacks on Tadmetla and Swami Agnivesh), and that I was in direct touch with the Naxalites. Lawyer’s notice for defamation sent to the newspapers.
11. April 2016: My effigy was burnt by the Mahila Ekta Manch, after we filed a fresh application in the SC.
May 2016: Completely false charges made up that ‘JNU profs’ had instigated villagers to join Maoists, threatening to burn their homes if they did not support Maoists. Police staged demonstration of alleged villagers in front of thana demanding that an FIR be registered against us. Media vilification campaign carried through Zee news, Chhattisgarh whatsapp groups, media, and Collector Amit Kataria’s facebook page. All the persons who accompanied us and whom we met have been cross-questioned and intimidated, including the driver of the hired car.
12. For the last ten years, my phones have been tapped, my emails read and so on. Vilification in the court is a constant feature – that we are fronts for the Maoists etc.
* I am deeply grateful to all the friends and colleagues who have accompanied me on these trips, and suffered police intimidation. I have not named them here for obvious reasons.