Bhumi Adhikar Andolan
More than 5000 people from different social movements, workers unions, fishworkers, forest workers, farmer organizations, from across 15 different states of the country gathered at Jantar Mantar today under the banner of Bhumi Adhikar Andolan(BAA) in order to assert their rights and send a clear message to the government that the people of this country will oppose the loot of natural resources and the violation of human dignity. We forcefully assert resistance to Corporate land grab and claim land rights.
The NDA government issued the Land Ordinance three times and each time they had to retreat. We consider this to be a victory that the Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement (Amendment) Bill, 2015 will be withdrawn during this budget session. Agricultural Workers, adivasis, dalits and workers unions across India have spearheaded this struggle.
Addressing the gathering, representatives from different organizations spoke about the violations of our constitutional rights. From making attempts at diluting progressive laws like the Forest Rights Act 2006, increasing farmer suicides in different states, to the shocking attacks in Chhattisgarh on adivasis and the increasing attack on educational spaces, the social activists said that today there exist a nexus between the communal powers that preach hate politics and corporates that plunder our resources. They want to break the solidarity of people who have taken a stand against their practices. On the one hand, whistleblowers, human rights defenders, journalists and activists across the country are targeted, beaten up and portrayed as ‘anti-national’ elements while defaulting corporations are given tax exemptions to the tunes of thousands of crores.The contempt of environment laws and its portrayal as a ‘hurdle to development’ by the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change makes it clear that the government is ignorant towards the voices of the people.
February 24, Jantar Mantar, New Delhi
Our key demands :
1. Withdraw Land (Amendment) Bill 2015. No to forced land acquisition, we demand land rights.
2. Implement Land Act, 2013 and stop illegal changes to it and withdraw any sanctions given to State Acts violating the Central Act.
3. Stop forced land acquisitions in the name of land pooling and other means by various state governments.
4. Stop tampering with the Forest Rights Act, 2006 and ensure its effective and timely implementation.
5. Find effective ways to tackle the agrarian crisis immediately, ensure right support prices for the produce and compensate crop loss.
6. Complete the unfinished agenda of land reforms, implement land ceiling, provide housing rights for poor and stop forced evictions at any cost.
7. Stop attempting changes to MGNREGA, rollback cuts in budget allocation and ensure 300 days work and 300 Rs wages daily.
8. Stop implementing T S Subramanian Committee recommendations and changes to environmental laws.
9. No to labour laws relaxations, ensure labour rights.
10. Take measures to stop violence against women and ensure their property rights.
11. Stop harassing people in name of false nationalist hysteria and arrest rise of fascist Hindutva forces.
National Alliance for People’s Movements (NAPM), All India Kisan Sabha (Cunning Lane), All India Union of Forest Working People (AIUFWP), All India Kisan Sabha (Ajay Bhawan), Bhartiya Kisan Union(Apolitical Real), Akhil Bhartiya Krishak Khet Mazdoor Sangathan, Akhil Bhartiya Kisan Mahasabha, Jan Sangharsh Samanvaya Samiti, INSAF, All India Farmer Workers Union, Narmada Bachao Andolan, , Kisan Sangharsh Samiti, Chattisgarh Bachao Andolan, Mine Minerals and Peoples (MMP), Madhya Pradesh Aadivasi Ekta Mahasabha, Kisan Mannch, Vindhya People’s Movement Support Group, Lok Sangharsh Morcha Sanyukt Kisan Sangharsh Samiti……
Contact: 9958797409, 9810423296, 9818905316, 9911955109