Here are the highlights of Umar Khalid’s speech (courtesy: NDTV)
- I can’t express the emotions that I feel right now.
- I’m still trying to make sense of what happened.
- If the government, RSS thought that they could break us then they were wrong.
- We are proud that we were booked under a law under which great freedom fighters were booked.
- The media trial even continued even after we were arrested.
- The police showed me a picture of me and said that this was given to them by the Intelligence bureau. I said this is from my Facebook page.
- I don’t project myself as a Muslim candidate, Muslim student but I was still treated as an Islamist terrorist.
- The side conversations during investigations were on the lines that some prominent.
- Muslims were patriotic, and it is time for us to prove our patriotism. We have been asked time and again to prove our patriotism.